We all know that sleep is important for our overall health and well-being. Yet, many of us struggle to get the recommended seven to eight hours of sleep each night. Whether it's due to stress, work, or just an inability to unwind, lack of sleep can take a toll on our physical and mental health. But good news, there are natural ways to help you sleep better and wake up feeling more refreshed.
This 3-2-1 punch (the recipe at the bottom of this page) is crafted to help you sleep longer, harder, and wake up more refreshed, and includes vitamin B6, magnesium, and melatonin.
- Vitamin B6 plays a crucial role in producing serotonin, the feel-good neurotransmitter that sets the stage for a night of sweet dreams, and you can find this powerhouse vitamin in foods such as chickpeas, bananas, and whole grains. Adding these foods to your diet can help you get the recommended daily intake of vitamin B6, which is 1.3 mg for adults between the ages of 19-50.
- Magnesium - found in foods such as dark leafy greens, almonds, and avocados - is a magical mineral that works wonders in keeping insomnia at bay and helping you catch those elusive z's. Incorporating these magnesium rich food into your diet can help you get the recommended daily intake, which is about 400-420 mg for men and 310-320 mg for women.
- Melatonin - found mainly in cherries or in supplement form - is the sleep hormone that gently nudges your body and says, "Hey, it's bedtime, pal!" Melatonin, great for those who need a little extra help with falling asleep, can be a safe and effective way to improve sleep quality and duration.
In addition to incorporating these sleep-promoting nutrients into your diet, there are other steps you can take to improve your sleep hygiene. Creating a bedtime routine that includes winding down activities, such as reading or taking a warm bath, can help signal to your body that it's time to sleep. Turning off electronics, such as your phone or TV, at least an hour before bed can also help reduce stimulation and promote relaxation.
Another way to promote good health and boost your immune system is through nutrition, and this Citrus-Berry Blast Smoothie is a delicious and vitamin-packed smoothie that can help strengthen your immune system and keep you feeling vibrant. This smoothie is an excellent way to incorporate a wide variety of immune-boosting nutrients into your daily routine.
Mixed berries provide an abundance of vitamin C, which is essential for a healthy immune system. Greek yogurt and almond milk offer vitamins D and E, which are important for overall health and immune function. Baby spinach provides essential minerals and antioxidants that can help protect your body from damage caused by free radicals.
Adding a scoop of Dr. Lisa O Nourish Grass Fed Collagen Peptides to your smoothie can provide an added boost of protein, which can help keep you feeling full and satisfied for longer. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissues, making it an important nutrient for overall health and well-being.
To make the Citrus-Berry Blast Smoothie, simply place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. This refreshing and nutritious smoothie is perfect for any time of day and can help support your immune system and overall health.
And don't forget - getting enough sleep and eating a healthy, balanced diet are essential for overall health and well-being. Incorporating sleep-promoting nutrients such as vitamin B6, magnesium, and melatonin into your diet, and creating a bedtime routine that promotes relaxation can help improve sleep quality and duration. Adding immune-boosting foods such as the Citrus-Berry Blast Smoothie to your daily routine can also help support your immune system and overall health. Remember to consult with your healthcare provider before starting any new supplement regimen, and aim to make small, sustainable changes to your diet and lifestyle for long-term benefits.
Here's the full recipe for the Citrus-Berry Blast Smoothie:
✨ Ingredients ✨
- 1 cup fresh or frozen mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
- ½ small orange (*tip, freeze the orange slices the night before to thicken up the smoothie) – eliminate if you’re watching your carb count or have excess inflammation
- ½ cup plain coconut yogurt (no sugar added) or Greek yogurt (if you chose to do dairy)
- ½ cup baby spinach
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk (or water for nut-free!)
- 2 scoops Dr. Lisa O Nourish Grass Fed Collagen Peptides for an added boost of protein
✨ Instructions ✨
- Place all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
This refreshing and nutritious smoothie is perfect for a quick breakfast or snack on-the-go. It's packed with immune-boosting vitamins and minerals, making it a great addition to your daily routine. The mixed berries provide an abundance of vitamin C, which helps support immune function, while the Greek yogurt and almond milk offer vitamins D and E, important for overall health and immune function. The addition of baby spinach ensures you're getting essential minerals and antioxidants, too.
Don't forget to add in the Dr. Lisa O Nourish Grass Fed Collagen Peptides for an added boost of protein. This can help keep you feeling full and satisfied for longer, while also supporting healthy hair, skin, and nails.
Overall, incorporating sleep-promoting nutrients and immune-boosting foods into your daily routine can help support your overall health and well-being. The Citrus-Berry Blast Smoothie is a delicious and easy way to get started. So, give it a try and enjoy a tasty way to feel your best!